- 1 packet of yeast
- 1 narrow glass or container (balloon needs to be able to cover opening)
- 1 tsp sugar
- ¼ cup of warm water (110- 115 degrees F)
- 1 small balloon
- Add the packet of yeast to the narrow glass.
- Add the sugar and shake to combine.
- Add the warm water and shake to combine.
- Take a moment to observe what is happening.
- Stretch out the balloon by blowing it up a few times to make sure it is loose.
- Cover the top of the glass with the balloon.
- Set a timer for 20 minutes.
- Place the glass in a warm place.
- Return and observe what happened.
- Repeat the experiment without sugar and/or using either cold or boiling water. What do you think will happen?
- 1 ¼ cup of whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup of yellow cornmeal
- 2/3 cup of granulated sugar
- ½ tsp of salt
- 1 tbs baking soda
- 1 ¼ cup of almond milk
- 1/3 cup of safflower oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and spray an 8×8 baking pan with avocado oil.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, and baking soda.
- Stir to combine.
- Add in oil and milk. Mix until just combined.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes.