Telling New Old Stories
Activity #1: The Fox & The Crane – Aesop
➡️ Read the fable here or watch it below.
What’s the main quality of each character?
What lesson are we supposed to learn?
Which character did you most relate to?
Activity #2: Anansi & The Turtle
➡️ Read the story or watch it below.
- What’s the main quality of each character?
- What lesson are we supposed to learn?
- Which character did you most relate to?
Points to note:
- Despite coming from different cultures, these stories are amazingly similar. And you can find multiple other examples of the same thing.
- Trickster tales show us we have more in common than we think. Though we usually only know the ones from our own culture, most cultures have them.
- One way to be anti-racist is to look for stories from other cultures. You’ll likely enjoy them as much as stories from your culture. In most cases, the setting may be different but the themes may be the same, as in the examples shared today.
Activity #3: Trickster Tales
Find other trickster tales from different cultures that share the same message. You can start here: Fables and Trickster Tales Around the World.
Write a short reflection on the theme, moral, and why you like it.
Activity #4: Pick A Book
Commit to reading a book or short story in a genre you like written by someone from a different background. Consider what’s similar to and what’s different from what you usually read.
Activity #5: Your Anti-Racism Pledge
You’ve taken this course because you want to commit to anti-racism. Copy the lines below, add anything else you want to commit to (here’s an example: Anti-Racism Pledge), sign it and display it somewhere where you’ll see it every day.
- I recognize that racism and bias are real
- I commit to learning from others with different heritage, culture and experiences
- I commit to actively working to be anti-racist in my own thoughts and behavior
- I commit to safely supporting my peers affected by racist actions
- I commit to embracing diversity, inclusiveness and belonging and fighting racism
- I commit to the following personal anti-racism actions: [fill in what you want to work on]
Continue to seek out anti-racism resources that mean something to you and take action where you can.